Audit of emergency preparedness on Island Constructor
Audit: On 23 February 2010, the Petroleum Safety Authority Norway (PSA) conducted an audit on the Island Constructor while the facility was moored at Ulsteinvik. The audit targeted the area of emergency preparedness, with emphasis on the facility's emergency response organisation, competence and training/drills. We identified one nonconformity in relation to the regulatory requirements, as well as four items with potential for improvement.
The audit was carried out by means of document reviews, conversations and verifications on the facility.
Background for the audit
Island Offshore applied for an Acknowledgement of Consent (AoC) for the well intervention facility Island Constructor (see photo) on 18 December 2009. The audit was directly related to the PSA's work on this application.
Our basis was Section 3 of the Framework Regulations, cf. the Norwegian Maritime Directorate's regulations for mobile facilities (07/853) and the Activities Regulations, Section 19 relating to competence and Section 21 relating to practice and drills.
Purpose of the audit
The purpose of the audit was to verify preparedness-related factors in connection with Island Offshore's application for an AoC for the Island Constructor.
Result of the audit
We identified one nonconformity in relation to the regulatory requirements:
- Deficient marking and signposting of escape routes in outside areas and in closed rooms on the facility.
We also identified four items with potential for improvement:
- No plans to use 112 as emergency number
- The MOB crew uses helmets with communication equipment that cannot be combined with survival/rescue suits with hoods and zippers pulled all the way up. MOB boat crews must have survival/rescue suits with zippers pulled all the way up to ensure that they are watertight.
- The doors on the fire stations were not numbered and clearly labelled.
- Neither operational procedures with significance for safety nor station bills were written in Norwegian.
Journal 2009/831 (documents in Norwegian)